Celine Dion, One of the most popular and successful singers in the world, Celine Dion has sold more than 200 million records globally and received countless honours. She is renowned for her eloquent and technically proficient singing as well as for fusing various musical genres into her songs, including pop, rock, R&B, gospel, and classical music. In addition to English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Latin, Japanese, and Chinese, she has also performed songs in other languages. She has backed numerous causes and charities and is a humanitarian and philanthropist.
Celine Dion : Early life and career
On March 30, 1968, in Charlemagne, Quebec, Canada, Celine Dion was born. She was the youngest of Thérèse Tanguay and Adhémar Dion’s 14 children. The Dion family had limited income but was always full of affection. There were so many kids in the house that Celine’s mother had to put her youngest one to sleep in a drawer.
The same passion for music was shared by the entire family. Even the parents and kids got together to form a group that gave local audiences concerts. Celine has always participated, even as a little child. Thérèse saw her baby’s extraordinary talent right away. Celine was highly gifted, but all of her children were.
With the assistance of her mother and brother Jacques, she wrote her first song at the age of 12 called “Ce n’était qu’un rêve.” But it’s safe to say that it was real. And with the help of her mother, that dream would begin to materialise. Thérèse gave music mogul René Angélil a cassette of the song. She picked him because he had overseen the career of the family’s favourite singer, Ginette Reno of Quebec.
René Angélil had such unwavering faith in his young protégé that he mortgaged his home to pay for the recording of her debut album. The great gambler made the best wager they had ever placed. Eddy Marnay, a lyricist who has collaborated with some of the best vocalists in the world, including Barbra Streisand, Yves Montand, and Édith Piaf, consented to write songs for her.
“It’s the voice of the Good Lord!” Marnay shouted upon hearing Celine sing for the first time. Their debut single would be La voix du bien Dieu. Celine took home the gold at the Tokyo’s 13th Yamaha World Popular Song Festival in 1982. She performed the Marnay and Giraud song “Tellement j’ai d’amour pour toi” for 115 million TV viewers. She was only 14 years old.
She then made her debut on French television, appearing on Michel Drucker’s renowned programme Champs-Élysées. Everybody in the nation still remembers the moment the host told his audience to “remember her name: Celine Dion!” She was the first Canadian to receive a gold album in France in 1983.
That same year, at the ADISQ gala recognizing the finest in Québécois music, she won her first 4 Félix Awards.
International breakthrough and superstardom
- In 1988, Celine gained international recognition by winning the Eurovision Song Contest, where she represented Switzerland with “Ne partez pas sans moi”. After learning to speak English, she signed with Epic Records in the United States. Her debut English-language album,
- Unison (1990), established her as a viable pop artist primarily in North America and several English-speaking markets.
- She achieved worldwide fame with several of the bestselling English-language albums in history,
- such as Falling into You (1996), Let’s Talk About Love (1997), which were certified diamond in
- the US with more than 30 million sales worldwide each. She also released a series of international number-one hits,
- including “The Power of Love”, “Think Twice”, “Because You Loved Me”, “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now”, “My Heart Will Go On”, “I’m Your Angel” and “I’m Alive”.
- Celine continued releasing French albums between each English record; D’eux (1995) became
Celine Dion : the best-selling French-language album of all time,
- while S’il suffisait d’aimer (1998), Sans attendre (2012), and Encore un soir (2016), were all certified diamond in France.
- She has been regarded by several magazines as one of the greatest singers in music.
- In 2003,
- she was honoured by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) for selling over 50 million albums in Europe.
- Seven of her albums have sold at least 10 million copies worldwide, the second-most among women in history.
Personal life and challenges : Celine Dion
- Celine Dion married René Angélil, her manager and mentor, in 1994.
- They had three children together: René-Charles, born in 2001, and twins Eddy and Nelson, born in 2010.
- Celine faced many difficulties in conceiving her children, and underwent several fertility treatments and procedures.
- In 2016, she lost both her husband and her brother to cancer within two days.
- She dedicated her album Encore un soir to their memory, and expressed her grief
- and gratitude in several interviews and performances.
- She also faced criticism and scrutiny for her appearance and weight loss in recent years.
- She defended herself by saying she was healthy and happy, and that she had found a new passion for fashion and dance.
Philanthropy and humanitarianism
- Celine Dion has been involved in various causes and charities throughout her career.
- She has supported organizations such as Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, World Vision, T.J. Martell Foundation, American Red Cross, UNICEF, and many more.
- She has also donated millions of dollars to victims of natural disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina, the Asian tsunami, the Haiti earthquake, and the Las Vegas shooting.
- She has received several awards and recognitions for her philanthropic work, such as Legion of Honour, Order of Canada, Order of Quebec, National Order of Merit, and Companion of Arts and Letters.
Celine Dion is one of the most influential and respected artists of all time, who has touched millions of hearts with her powerful voice and emotional songs. She has overcome many challenges and hardships in her life, but has never stopped pursuing her dreams and sharing her talent with the world. She is a role model for anyone who wants to achieve their goals and make a difference in society.
She is a woman of destiny..